Sendmail was released in the early 1980s, and has been continuously improved ever since. It is a very flexible and configurable MTA, and it has a large installed base.
For information about Sendmail, go to http://www.sendmail.com/sm/open_source/.
To configure integration using STARTTLS
- Edit the /etc/mail/authinfo file. If the file does not exist, create it. Add the following lines to the file, replacing USERNAME and PASSWORD with your SMTP user name and password.
AuthInfo:email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com "U:root" "I:USERNAME" "P:PASSWORD" "M:LOGIN" AuthInfo:ses-smtp-prod-335357831.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com "U:root" "I:USERNAME" "P:PASSWORD" "M:LOGIN"
- Save the authinfo file.
- At a command prompt, issue the following command to generate the Sendmail configuration file:
makemap hash authinfo < authinfo
- Edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file. If the file does not exist, you can obtain it by installing the sendmail.cf package on your system. In the sendmail.mc file, add the following lines:
define(`SMART_HOST', `email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com')dnl define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 25')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash -o /etc/mail/authinfo.db')dnl
Note Be sure that relaying is allowed for email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com in the /etc/mail/access file.
- Save the sendmail.mc file.
- Issue the following command:
m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
if you get following error
m4:/etc/mail/sendmail.mc:10: cannot open `/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4': No such file or directory
yum install sendmail-cf